Terroir Spring Field Study - WordPress
Access your site
Your sites have been pre-created based on a site template. To access your site:
- login to blogs.evergreen.edu
- navigate to My Sites in the upper left for a listing of all sites connected to your login
Your sites are currently set to be publicly viewable.
- To change this go to Settings > Reading > Visibility
- You have the option to choose Visitors must have login to limit access to Evergreen community members or can leave the sites publicly viewable.
How your Author display name can be changed sitewide.
- Go to Edit Profile from the "Howdy, your name" drop down in the upper left admin bar
- Change the "Display name publicly as" field to your choice. First name last initial is a good option.
Writing and Managing your content
- Get Published - Pages and Posts
- Categories and Tags - all of your posts should be added to a category otherwise they will not be easy to find on your site.
- Custom Menus - let you modify your site's navigation and add links to new pages or post categories or create sub-navigation.
- Insert an image
- Set a featured image for each post.
- WordPress built-in image galleries
- Instagram Galleries of group hashtags or user IDs
- Embed video from Vimeo or YouTube by pasting the the URL link into the content area of your page/post
- Link to a file
Connect to Zotero
Connect your site using the ZotPress plugin to your individual Zotero account to create a dynamic display of a collection of bibliographic resources.
- See: Zotero and WordPress
Customize Your Site
This is default theme your site is already set to use. This theme has a flexible Theme Options panel that let's you customize many components of the site including:
- page layout
- styling: background colors, font, etc.
- header logo
If you feel compelled to use a different theme than Heuman, the following themes will work well on mobile devices (they are responsive) and make good usage of navigation (Menus) and widgets so you can design a site where viewers can easily find and interact with your content.
- Baskerville (custom header image)
- Hemingway (custom header image)
- Tracks (works best with featured images saved to posts)
- Twenty Twelve, Twenty Thirteen, Twenty Fourteen, Twenty Fifteen, Twenty Sixteen
Additional themes may not have Theme Options but can be modified by Appearance > Customize
Sidebar content in WordPress is controlled via "Widgets". Often times if you don't anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.