Consciousness - WordPress
What is an online portfolio?
- How are you going to use this site for your academic work?
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Create a New WordPress Site
- Create your first site if you are new to blogs.evergreen.edu.
- Learn how to create additional sites if you already have a site at blogs.evergreen.edu.
Driving in WordPress
From your dashboard we need to change some settings in your site
- General - change your tagline; change your time zone to UTC -7
- Reading - change your site's privacy settings (defaults to Evergreen users only)
- Permalinks - set this to Post Name
Writing and Managing your content
- Get Published - Pages and Posts
- Categories and Tags
- create a category for your Participant-Observation posts
Many themes support sidebar content. Often times if you don't anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Change what your front page displays if you'd prefer a static pages instead of your latest posts (optional).
- Custom Menus - allow you to modify the navigation for your site
- not all themes support custom menus
Designing Your Site
Working with themes
Themes allow you to change the design of your blog at anytime. Changing your theme will not affect the primary content of your site.
- Choose a theme
- Customize your header image - some themes allow for you to add your own header image Appearance > Header Image (may only appear if your chosen theme supports custom header images)
- Make additional changes to your theme (advanced)
Adding functionality to your site with plugins
- Plugin Overview - use plugins to connect your site with a variety of web content including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, etc. Want to connect to a popular service that you don't see listed in the available plugins? Let Academic Computing know and we can look into adding it.
- Tip: Plugins can make your site run slower. Only activate those plugins you are planning on using and deactivate any plugins you're not using.