Digital Photography - WordPress
From Help Wiki
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Create a New WordPress Site
blogs.evergreen.edu is Evergreen's WordPress server. You can create your own site, all you need is an evergreen email address and login.
- Create your first site if you are new to blogs.evergreen.edu.
- Learn how to create additional sites if you already have a site at blogs.evergreen.edu.
- Having problems creating a site?
Driving in WordPress
Writing and Managing your content
Images, video and linked files
- Insert an image
- Video - embed video from Vimeo or YouTube
- Link to a file
Designing Your Site
Working with themes
Themes allow you to change the design of your blog at anytime. Changing your theme will not affect the primary content of your site.
- Choose a theme
- Customize your header image - some themes allow for you to add your own header image Appearance > Header Image (may only appear if your chosen theme supports custom header images)
- Make additional changes to your theme by editing the CSS (advanced)
- Hatch - hatch theme documentation
- Folio Elements
Many themes support sidebar content. Often times if you don't anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Widgets - add additional features to your sidebar
- Add external links to your sidebar
- Change what your front page displays if you'd prefer a static pages instead of your latest posts (optional).
- Custom Menus - allow you to modify the navigation for your site
- not all themes support custom menus
Adding functionality to your site
- Plugin Overview - use plugins to connect your site with a variety of web content including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, etc.
Embedding additional media
- Image Galleries
- Enable SlimJetpack > Carousel for more control over your image galleries
Some Quick Tips
- Design your splash or welcoming page in a way that immediately lets the viewer know what type of photography you specialize in
- Keep navigation clear and simple
- Display your strongest images, even if that means only using a few until you build your portfolio
- Use images that will draw a visitor into different parts of the website
Sites by Evergreen Alumni
- Meet The Shannons (Annie Shannon) - Writer/Foodie/Vegan Advocate
- Hamburger Eyes - Photographers/Publishers: photo zines, artist monographs, limited editions, etc
- Ira Coyne - Sign Painter
- Kathleen Hanna - Artist/Musician/Writer
- Psychic Sister (Sarah Adams) - Artist/Entrepreneur (Vintage, Repurposed and Original Clothing, Psychic Readings, and More)
- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Musicians
- Ray Potes of Hamburger Eyes
- Carli Davidson - Photographer (Site made with PhotoShelter)
- Nikki McClure - Papercut and more
- Rodrigo Valenzuela - Artist/Photographer
- Sarah Utter - Painter/Musician (Site made with iWeb)
Need More Help?
- WordPress Tutorial - for a step-by-step tutorial to get you started
- FAQs - common questions about using WordPress at Evergreen
- All WordPress articles
Still have questions or problems with WordPress, send Academic Computing a message or call the Computer Center at 360-867-6227.